Scientific name: Leiopotherapon unicolour
Other common names: Spangled grunter, Jewel perch, bobby perch or cod, trout cod (QLD)
- A very hardy species, Spangled Perch are basically carnivores, but very opportunistic feeders which survive on a wide variety of foods such as small crustaceans and aquatic insects, molluscs and plant matter.
- Tolerates water temperatures from 5° to 44°C, and will survive in fresh water and seawater, with pH ranges from 4.0 to 8.6.
- Will breed in dams.
- Commonly 15-20 cm. More rarely will grow to 25 cm and 500 g.
- Larger specimens although bony are excellent eating.
- In aquariums they are an attractive specimen and very easy to look after.
- Not recommended for a community tank, because of their aggression toward other fish. A tight fitting lid is required as they can jump out of the tank.
STOCKING RATE IN DAMS
1 fish per 2sqm (2000/acre)
(ex. gst and delivery)
Av Size. 0-50 50-500
3-5cm $2.50 $2.00
5-7cm $3.00 $2.50
7-10cm $5.00 $4.50