Scientific name: Lates calcarifer
Other common names: Giant perch, Barra
- Barramundi are a carnivorous fish and a popular species for farm dams.
- It is not recommended to stock Barramundi with other fish because of their territorial and aggressive behaviour and because of their size.
- It is an offence to stock Barramundi in private dams further south than the Mary River catchment.
- Size: Commonly up to 1.2m, but can grow up to 1.8m and 60 kg.
- Tolerates temperature from 18°c – 29°c and pH range between 7 – 8.
- Growth rate is variable, but usually very rapid, reaching around 600g in the first 6 months. Growth begins to slow after this initial growth phase.
- Excellent eating.
- Barramundi are a great sport fish – renowned for their fighting ability, frequently breaching the surface.
STOCKING RATE FOR DAM
1 fish per 5sqm (800/acre)
(ex. gst and delivery)
Contact us for availability
Av Size. 0-50 50-500
3-5cm $4.50 $3.00
5-7cm $5.50 $4.00