Scientific name: Lates calcarifer
Other common names: Giant perch, Barra
- Barramundi are a carnivorous fish and a popular species for farm dams.
- It is not recommended to stock Barramundi with other fish because of their territorial and aggressive behaviour and because of their size.
- It is an offence to stock Barramundi in private dams further south than the Mary River catchment.
- Size: Commonly up to 1.2m, but can grow up to 1.8m and 60 kg.
- Tolerates temperature from 18°c - 29°c and pH range between 7 - 8.
- Growth rate is variable but usually very rapid reaching around 600g in the first six months, after which growth slows somewhat.
- Excellent eating.
- Barramundi are a great sport fish – renowned for their fighting ability, frequently breaching the surface.
STOCKING RATE FOR DAM: 1 fish per 5sqm (800/acre)