Australian Native Fish Enterprises (ANFE)
ABN 67535321253 Burpengary, Qld
Barramundi (Scientific Name: lates calcarifer) …
Other Common Names: giant perch, barra
· Barramundi are a carnivorous fish and a popular species for farm dams.
· It is not recommended to stock Barramundi with other fish because of their territorial and aggressive behaviour and because of their size.
· It is an offence to stock Barramundi in private dams further south than the Mary River catchment.
· Size: Commonly up to 1.2m, but can grow up to 1.8m and 60 kg.
· Growth rate is variable but usually very rapid reaching around 600g in the first six months, after which
growth slows somewhat.
· Excellent eating.
· Barramundi are a great sport fish – renowned for their fighting ability, frequently breaching the surface.
Photo:Gary Cranitch,© Qld. Museum